Saturday, March 10, 2007

Spring Forward!

If I'm losing an hour tonight, does that mean I have to read twice as fast?

Despite the grueling work week just past, life is good. The snow is melting (50 degrees today!!) and I even managed to wash the scummy road salt off of my car. It will be odd to be able to actually see out of the back window of my VW bug....


I returned a few of the Big Ol' Stack of Books unfinished yesterday - but did manage to get through A True & Faithful Narrative first. I enjoyed the slice of history ambiance and the struggles of the feisty protagonist to do what she was meant to do on this earth despite conventions of the day and to find the right man to share her life with while doing so. If I had not taken it back already, I would have cited a specific line to sum up my reactions -- but alas, now a paraphrase must suffice. While reading one of her cherished romances, Meg says that she "cannot wait to dive in to read what she already knows will happen" or something on that order. I felt that way about this book - it was familiar and yet I willingly read on to the expected conclusion.
P.S. The cover art does this book no favors.....



I was knocked out by the sheer fun and mysterious mischief of A Drowned Maiden's Hair, though! From the great cover art and font to the twisty, turny plot, I could NOT put this one down! Successful as a period piece (the melodrama of the title); sufficiently suspenseful as an eerie mystery; heart-wrenching as a study of a whole lot of lonely, yearning women - this is a really great read. I had NO idea what the reason would be for the two sisters to adopt Maud and was delighted by the revelation of that secret. I loved the subplot with Anna/Muffet. I could not wait to discover how the scam on Mrs. Lambert would unfold. This is my favorite read of the month by far. If you haven't read it yet, do so!
And now, if you'll excuse me, I have a couple of thousand clocks to set ahead before I curl up in bed with a nice cup of tea and the copy of The Invention of Hugo Cabret I picked up today!

No comments: