Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Carnival Revisited

Thanks to everyone who has dropped by the Carnival and left a message &/or made mention of it on your own blog! It was fun to put together and you all sure provided me with some incredibly great posts to work with -- so thanks for that, too!

I had to step away from the festive pink theme, though -- didn't know where I was when I entered my own little blog world!

I was sorry not to get to comment on some of the posts in the Carnival -- just plain ran out of time on Sunday.

So, here's that commentary now:

Terrell's notion of opening the week with a poem was reminiscent of Poetry Fridays. Love the idea - love the idea of finding a spot to add a poem to EVERY day even more. Seems like making them connect in as many ways as often as possible makes them a cool thing -- not the dreaded POETRY UNIT.....

Ms Mac's polling of her 5th graders to see what they are reading for pleasure was great. It was fun to hear what kids are REALLY reading and enjoying....

Susan's adventures with Maple Candy as a result of Ms Wilder's books was too fun. Isn't it grand when a book inspires such an adventure? Mess or no mess, that's priceless stuff.

Liz's piece on the need to nourish our souls was so timely and so thoughtful. I should print it out and post it on my desk at work. Sage advice too seldom heard and more seldom heeded.

Kate's chat about the books that sparked her kids' reading was neat. What memories do you all have of books that meant something to you and your children? I have vivid memories of bedtime read-alouds of The Neverending Story with my daughter that make me smile to this day....

Lisa's report on her replies from children's authors and illustrators in connection to copyright issues was a heartening piece. When we retired the physical card catalog cards at my library, we sent some of the cards to children's authors asking for a signature on them to use as a fundraiser for the children's department. The gregarious kindness of those we approached mirrors Lisa's experience. What a fantastic group of artists we are privileged to rub elbows with in the K-Sphere!

Sherry's post about Wanda Gag brought back happy memories of Millions of Cats. I was not familiar with the book/cover she posted about -- but the style was so familiar - just made me smile in childhood recognition.

Had to post about Laurie Halse Anderson's tattoo. What an intriguing person.

Thanks to my own wanderings and the posts from Snow, Jen & Cynthia, I have my name on the reserve lists for Alison McGhee's new book, Cures for a Heartbreak, Keturah & Lord Death and Love the Baby. (And come on - WHO among you can resist the cover of Love the Baby?????)

Cloudscome's torn-up book meme got me thinking, too. I have a wonderful old fairy tale book that my gram used to read to me -- the good one with the shivery tales like Bluebeard --that is held together with love and silver duct tape and a serious envelope. It is, alas, still in storage from our move, or I would post a photo of it here. Don't need the photo for myself as I can see every bit of it in my minds' eye, right down to the border designs on the pages. Ahhh.

Lindsey's wacky pop-up books cheered my day -- I enjoy pop-ups to pieces and the two she posted about look like complete wacky fun. Her teens must love her.

Tricia's piece on Reading Aloud What is Difficult was so well-written and so great I actually posted it twice in hopes of snagging maximum attention to it. Guess this makes a third mention -- and if you have not read it, please do. Great post.

Monica's description of reading Desperaux aloud made me smile through my tears -- I loved that book and always wanted to read it aloud -- but left Libraryland before I did so. The letter format of that post is also just right.

Digital Rich's post got me thinking about whether we react differently to a written piece or to a filmed piece. It seemed from his post that his daughter had a visceral reaction to the Anne Frank film - but did not have an equally visceral reaction to reading the book upon which it was based. An interesting question to think more about....

Franki's post about a new grammar book and its author was wonderful. I appreciate books that bring that vital information to light in new ways: the fun Cleary books, Eats Shoots & Leaves, The Deluxe Transitive Vampire....

Chasing Ray's unbelievable Coming of Age booklist is a post for the ages. I'd like to make it a goal to read every one of those books - maybe I could jumpstart that goal for MR's next 48-Hour Book Challenge!! :)

Karen's marvelous variety of World War picture books is a thoughtful, valuable collection to tuck away for future use.

I had to share my discoveries of the YouTube promotion for Jackie Mitchard's foray into YA lit - what an intriguing marketing plan....

Also had to share the Archive.Org showing of the film that inspired Cabret... and yes, I hope to blog about my reading experience with that book sometime soon.

And I did have to single out Brooke's perfectly delightful post about the teeny-tiny books. What a joy to share that collection with her vicariously! Made me long for my own teeny-tiny book treasure (yes, also in storage) - an itsy-bisty leather bound copy of Romeo & Juliet that I bought at an estate auction back in high school.

Okay, I feel better now.

Thanks to Melissa for asking me to pinch-host this event. I had a great time!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great job on the carnival! And thanks for sharing more of your thoughts on the specific posts. You make me want to go back and re-read things.

And you should definitely check out Cures for Heartbreak. It's SO great!

Tricia said...

ZG,
Thanks so much for the mention and kind words about my post.

You did a fabulous job with the carnival, and I so appreciate the recap. Now I know what I want to hit when I go back to read.

Thanks again!
Tricia

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the mention. I amtrying something new on Tusdays with the interviwing of students and staff of what they are reading. It really is fun to conduct the interviews and hear what they are reading.