Sunday, June 18, 2006

Long Live Wendelin Van Draanen


Okay, I have decided to finish up the Challenge with two purely personal delights - and the first of these was just the dessert I was hungry for: Sammy Keyes and the Psycho Kitty Queen by Wendelin Van Draanen. Having spent all of my allowance money on Nancy Drew growing up, I am still a sucker for a smart girl detective and boy, howdy, does Sammy fit the bill! I love the interconnectednes of the series and I love the supporting players. But most of all I love Sammy - her bravado, her insecurities, her struggle to make the best of the hand she's been dealt. I love the way she collects intriguing new people into her life in each book and how they reappear and deepen their relationships with her in the subsequent novels. Van Draanen's book Flipped is one of my favorite books of all time - and Sammy Keyes is one of my top reading treats. What a fun couple of hours I've had with Sammy and Hudson and Grams and Casey and a school full of pro wrestlers and a warehouse full of illegal cat-fight organizers - like hot fudge on this reading weekend sundae!

No comments: